Register  /   My Profile High School   /   College   /   Professional
   Who's On Right Now: Silent Stalkers: 2804 | Cool Members: 0
Home > All Categories > High School Sports > Idaho > Idaho High School Wrestling

5A Outlook
Reply   New Topic   show replies:   viewing threshhold:

RamFan76

Total Posts: 61

5A Outlook  11/13/2017 11:11:38 AM score: 0    hide

Teams begin practicing today, and we are slightly less than 3 weeks away from the first matches. It's time to get the sportsboards buzzing with a little discussion to help build up to the season!

5A - clearly the top two teams to beat are Columbia and Post Falls again. With Columbia's depth, (9 returning state placers, narrowly beating out 7 from Post Falls), I'd give a slight edge to Columbia to repeat as 5A State Champs. Post Falls appears to have some strong kids coming up though, so I think it will be a close battle between those two teams.

After 1st and 2nd place trophies are claimed, I believe CDA and Highland will be battling it out for 3rd and 4th place hardware. Both teams have some strong returning placers, (Highland has a strong batch of seniors), and I think 3rd and 4th place will be extremely close...Centennial, Rocky Mountain, and Meridian also won't be far behind...and could sneak in for a 4th place trophy.

Any disagreement with a top 4 of Columbia, PF, Highland, CDA? December 1st will be here soon!

Bargarian

Total Posts: 32

Re: 5A Outlook  11/13/2017 7:58:34 PM score: 0    hide

You are not alone RamFan76! I am feverishly researching the 5A in the treasure valley to add some somewhat accurate fodder, opinion and guesses.  I am so excited for this season and your top 4 look convincing. I thought Post Falls had a slight advantage going into state last season but I wasn't so convinced that I would have bet against Columbia at any point.  It was a great state tournament and looks to repeat this season as a dogfight. Both Post Falls and Columbia return and reload with talent again this season.  Easiest 2 to pick as 1 and 2 again in the 5A.  I have to research and get back from there, i had in my subconscious tucked away that Meridian would return strong and hungry this season...? I'll study up now that some information is starting to shake out .... like Cervantes from American Falls moving and landing at Columbia. 

RamFan76

Re: 5A Outlook  11/13/2017 8:41:50 PM score: 0    hide

The Cervantes transfer to Columbia could be huge in the 5A team race, (not to mention a big loss to AF). With his addition, I think that’s 10 returning State placers to the Columbia roster...that might be too much for Post Falls to overcome.

Meridian does have some good returning placers, especially in some middle, to upper weights. I agree they could be in contention for some team hardware, but I’m guessing they finish just outside the top four for now (admittedly, an extremely premature prediction - but that’s why we’re here this time of year).

Bargarian

Total Posts: 32

Re: 5A Outlook  11/14/2017 3:51:48 PM score: 0    hide

I been studying up and counting returners and placers and adding in some outsiders that would have made some noise like I'd say Meridian has 4 returning state placers but I give them 5 because I believe Cade Hernandez(113)who ended up finishing the season on crutches missing State would have placed.(my opinion).... I counted both Post Falls and Columbia with 9 returning placers each.(using the Idaho Wrestler page)... be back soon - have to go watch some middle school duals and study the information yet some more for the High School ranks.

dfmcleod

Total Posts: 225

Re: 5A Outlook  11/30/2017 10:42:39 AM score: 0    hide

Ok this is my early bird post falls prediction obviously all depending on injury s and bad high school choices making kids inelegable . Also it seems every year the north has a couple kids that take 4 Th at districts and not qualifying for state but would probable have places at state.my best guess looking at today’s roster , they have 13 probable state placers and 7 likely finalist . And like I said with all the factors involved in a long season that number could go down .

Djon21

Total Posts: 30

Re: 5A Outlook  11/30/2017 12:03:23 PM score: 0    hide

Is postfalls going to Sydney this year

Djon21

Re: 5A Outlook  11/30/2017 12:16:34 PM score: 0    hide

If they r it will tell a lot. But for now I think Columbia graduated a lot more state point earners than post. Also with Clements suiting I'd have to give the early nod to pf. The top 4 look good. Interested to c how meridian improved

Djon21

Re: 5A Outlook  11/30/2017 12:17:40 PM score: 0    hide

QUITING

dfmcleod

Total Posts: 225

Re: 5A Outlook  11/30/2017 1:04:00 PM score: 0    hide

Yes post falls is Sydney bound now . What weight is Cervantes ?

RamFan76

Re: 5A Outlook  11/30/2017 1:15:38 PM score: 0    hide

It looks like Cervantes wrestled at 170 for Columbia last night against Eagle, (although the name is misspelled in TW).

Reply   New Topic