Hard to believe the regular season is halfway over. Here are 5 things we've learned so far.
1. The mighty have fallen- Fruitland and Snake River have long established themselves as perrennial 3A title contenders, and have frequently met up in those games. This year, they are a combined 2-6 so far. Snake has been blownout in every game, and Fruitland has had a nightmarish 2 weeks. I have a feeling the last time Fruitland was shutout in a game, their players weren't even born. Fruitland's JV team has been blownout in every game as well, so the forseeable future does not look good for them.
2. Don't judge strength of schedule- Homedale served up a piping hot pie of crow, and they didn't bother removing the feathers and giblets. They've consistently played and blown out the Melba's and New Plymouth's of the world, but once they faced the Fruitland's, the deer in the headlights would appear. I forced myself to watch as much of the replay from last night, and frankly Homedale could have won 50-0 if they had really put their mind to it.
3. Weiser is starting to resemble their old selves- Weiser's had 6 years of fairly uninspiring football. They're off to their best start in years, and while they're not at the level of 2010 or 2011, they are a much improved team. Are they state title contenders? No, but contending for a playoff spot is very doable, and they might even advance a little. On paper, Fruitland should beat Weiser easily, but with the way Fruitland is playing, I'm not so sure. Regardless, Fruitland is in a must win situation next week.
4. Don't sleep on Marsh Valley- We knew Sugar was going to be good, but Marsh Valley is not far behind them.
5. Top 2A teams- More of a sidenote, but based on body of work this year, the top teams in 2A look to be almost, if not just as good as the top 3A teams. Declo has been knocking off 3A teams left and right, and I have to think they are licking their chops for a suddenly struggling Fruitland team in 2 weeks.